If you told me on November 7th that nearly my entire town of Paradise, Ca would burn down, I wouldn’t have believed you. You were right though.
If you then told me on January 9th that a fellow blogger would nominate me for a Sunshine Blogger Award, I would have said, “Yes, when pigs fly.” Again though, you would have been correct. Thank you Laundry and Dishes! I enjoy very much reading your blog. It reminds me when my wife and I got married at 19 years old and decided to move from Northern California to Tucson, Arizona. We didn’t have a pot to pee in, but oh such wonderful memories of climbing up on our apartment roof every evening and watching the most amazing desert sunsets. Our recreation was tossing a frisbee at the city park. We did go a few days without much food, but I made up for that years later!
In terms of being a Sunshine Blogger, well, I have my good days….and I have my bad days. I do have a bit of a cynical nature, but God has recently done much to show me the incredible capacity people have to love one another. I have been humbled greatly since November 7th.
There are a set of rules to receiving the Sunshine Blogger nomination. since I type very slow, let me cut and paste from Laundry and Dishes latest post.
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and provide a link back to their blog
- Answer the questions the blogger has asked you
- Nominate 5-11 new bloggers and write them 5-11 new questions
- List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award logo on your post
Thank you Laundry and Dishes! I don’t know your first name and it felt kind of creepy doing a social media search. Honestly, thank you very much!
Let me answer your questions:
- What made you start your blog?
- As I began contemplating my retirement from California State University, Chico, I started looking into different things I might like to do with my time. The secret to staying married for 45 years is…well, one is obviously not getting a divorce and two, don’t get so sick of each other that you murder your spouse…no wait, that ain’t sunshiny…number two, stay intellectually curious and individually engaged in life while supporting your partner’s interests and journey….and well, actually three is the biggest reason: forgiveness. Anywho, I wanted to investigate if I would enjoy writing. By the way, I found out that I liked writing but abhorred editing- it is like taking your sister to the prom, it is not very exciting, or at least really shouldn’t be.
- What is your favorite post that you have written?
- Ooh, good question. I’ll be right back. I need to check them out….I’m back, that didn’t more than three little dots. It is this one, The Class of ’64. It only has only one typo in it and it is about someone who changed my life and many others.
- Do you write for yourself or for your readers?
- Oh. a trick question I see. One of the worse thing a person can do is limit themselves to either/or options. It is what screwed up religion. Even losing everything in a recent fire, bad thing, yes…but good has come from it too. It changed me, I experienced love and compassion from hundreds of people. I began meditating, praying, realizing things about myself that only a disaster would be able to reveal. I was broken. I write for the Yen and the Yang in an effort to find that sacred middle space…that exists everywhere, and nowhere. I write for me, I write for the reader. This means I must always be true to myself and authentic, even when I am not so emotionally attractive.
- What is your favorite book to read?
- Any book by the Franciscan priest, Richard Rohr and I am not Catholic! The man has opened my mind which then opened my heart. I also dig Mark Twain, Stephen King, Raymond Chandler, Mark Mayes, and Indy Quillen. Bonus answer, I am currently reading a great new biography about Arthur Ashe. I enjoy Peter Kerasotis too, especially his biography about Felipe Alou.
- Do you prefer movies/tv or books/reading?
- Yikes. Read 38 books last year. In the last two months, I have seen 4 new movies. I totally loved the new Spiderman in the Spiderverse one along with Mary Poppins Return. You see, this is unfair because I LOVE buttery popcorn with an oversized box of Milk Duds all washed down with cola. with crunch ice, not cubes..and maybe a rock solid, ice cold box of Bon-Bons…those little ice cream treats….Ok, I LIKE MOVIES!
Ok, now to nominate some other bloggers I enjoy:
- Through Rose Tinted Glasses https://throughrosetintedglasses2017.wordpress.com
- I seriously started following this lovely person when I was dealing with the death of my father. She is wise, and funny, and creative, and loving, and spunky. I like spunky.
- Eliza Waters. https://elizawaters.com
- They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Eliza’s pictures leave me speechless. They touch my heart and she leaves super cool comments.
- My friend doesn’t blog much, but she should. My goodness she can write and she is a beautiful person with much wisdom. Follow the Yellow Brick Road https://followtheyellowbrickroadsite.wordpress.com
- I love what this man shares. Len’s Diary https://lensdiary.blog.
- The most consistent blogger I follow, I think. She gets to the point and her point is always worth getting to! https://letitgocoach.com
Now my 5 questions for my nominees:
- What were your favorite games as a child?
- When was the last time you danced?
- Who are your favorite recording artists, bands, solo artists, orchestra?
- You have one month free to travel, where would you go?
- Do animals have souls?